It has been quite a while since I have posted. My work schedule changed from part-time to full-time months ago and it has been a challenge transitioning into this new schedule. Lately with all of the demands from work and how that impacts the time I have when I am not working I have been feeling prompted by God to pursue things on my days off that are enriching and creative in order to bring balance to the stress I often encounter at work. One of the things I have been craving lately is loads of time for both quiet reflection and conversing with God, as well as creativity through painting, collage, writing etc. These times bring immense delight and refreshment and I feel God is providing me with these enriching gifts in order to bring life and renewal in light of the pace of my work.
Life is so busy. Responsibilities and demands surround us without number and hang over our heads like the weight of the world.
Hectic lives filled with demanding work schedules, commitments at church and in our communities, and responsibilities in caring for our homes and families abound. Life often seems to rush ahead of us and we are sprinting just to try to keep up with it all. We are fortunate if we are able to stay one step ahead of it all.
My life closely resembles much of what I have just described. Working 12 hour shifts in a busy medical facility often leaves me drained of energy to attend to my other responsibilities of home, church, and family. I find myself craving times of solitude, rest, quiet reflection and open ended, unstructured time for creative pursuits. Often I feel a sense of guilt in my longing for these times, but more and more I am realizing that these desires are from God and not merely my own selfish desires to escape from pressure, stress, and demands in my work. These are gifts from God that provide deep enrichment and better equip me to meet the demanding hours and pace of my work schedule. He is giving me space for the calm and the holy. Time to spend in quiet reflection and conversation with God reduces the weight of my anxiety and allows me to find freedom and life in celebrating the Giver of all good gifts -- including the gift of creativity. After all, God, Himself, is the Author of creativity as He created all things! What a gift to be able to celebrate and enjoy the gift of creativity and the Giver of that gift.
How about you? Have you taken the time recently to celebrate God and His creation? Does His creation inspire you to be more creative? Are you naturally given to creativity? Have you found life in pursuing creative efforts that enrich your life and encourage others as well? Do you have a life that could benefit from some quiet times of peaceful reflection and even connecting with God through times of prayer and creativity?
I would love to hear your thoughts!
2 comments:
So glad to see you back! :)
I have MUCH quiet time since I do not have a job outside of the home. I volunteer much but can pretty much control when and were I go. I LOVE to be out in nature and having that worship time with the Lord. Our Fall here has just been gorgeous and I have spend MUCH time out there taking pictures, walking trails and talking with my Lord. When I''m home, I sit out in my swing, either, reflecting, praying, talking with Him, thinking of more blog posts, my book. I love my quiet times:)
I would like to think the creative efforts come forth and encourage others. I try through the blog and through the work I do in the homeless field.
May you enjoy many quiet times ahead! And I know you are an encouragement to whoever you come in contact with.
Blessings~
Thank you, Kristen, for all of your encouragement and also for sharing your thoughts on creativity and how that intersects in your relationship and time with God. Everything you mentioned - the beauty of the fall, walks through God's creation, photography etc resonate with me as blessings from God and great ways He allows us to commune with Him! May God bless you in your writing, blog, and your ministry with the homeless.
Jen
Post a Comment