Celebrating Life's good gifts and God, the Giver of them!

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Freshen your Perspective!

This morning I sat down with my Bible, my journal, and my coffee, and began to pray and write in my journal.  Expressing my prayers in written form proves to be a constant source of satisfaction and fruitfulness in my life.  I enjoy that time of reflection and prayer in my journal immensely.  It is also gratifying when God shows me something new about myself or gives me some kind of revelation as I journal my prayers that does not surface any other way.  This morning I began to reflect upon my work in health care and why I don't enjoy it as much as I did when I first started working in this field.  It became so evident to me that I clearly enjoy my interactions with both my co-workers as well as the patients, but it is the pace of my work that has changed, and therefore has changed the dynamics of that place.   Stress has escalated due to the increase in the number of patients we serve daily, and the refusal of the administration to hire any additional staff to keep up with the demands of the increase.  It makes for some very weary people at the end of those workdays. 

This revelation about my enjoying the people, but not the stress of the pace was encouraging to me.  I couldn't understand how something I enjoyed a year or so ago, I now find draining.  In my desire to reflect God and His glory in my work, I knew something was wrong when I began to experience anger and turmoil in my attitudes toward patients, especially toward the end of my shifts.  After all, God loves people!  We are His creation, and in order to reflect His Spirit at work in our lives, we should also demonstrate that same love in our interactions with others.

In deciphering that the source of the stress in my workplace was not a reflection of my attitude toward people, but rather the pace of the work was a huge encouragement to me.  Amidst the challenges at my workplace, I need to seek out opportunities to speak words of life and encouragement into the lives of others.  This will breathe life and strength into me as well as the people that I encounter in my work.   I am also encouraged by God's Word in Isaiah 40:29, which states, "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak."  In my weakness, I can depend upon His strength.  This promise gives me hope in the times that I feel weary.  I find strength in God's promise that I can lean on Him and His strength when mine is nonexistent. 

Moving forward, I am inspired to continue to love others, and to lean on God for His strength in times of weariness.  I also know that I can bring the burdens of my work to God and ask for His help in changing the dynamics of the workplace.   I know this will prove to be far more effective in producing the needed changes than grumbling about the stress with my co-workers.  Thanks be to God that He has helped me see the challenges of this situation through His eyes and a fresh perspective!

Weary?  What is happening in your life that requires you to seek God for a change in your perspective?

1 comment:

Amy Sullivan said...

Good question.

Over scheduling, but all for good reasons, of course. I used to say no to everything. No before the question was even out. That's changed in the last year or so, but now I am struggling with feeling overbooked.

I have been thinking lately how I need to seek God more in my little decisions in life more.

Have a good Sunday, friend.