Celebrating Life's good gifts and God, the Giver of them!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Life On Purpose

Lately God has been prodding me to live life more intentionally, especially as it relates to the gifts of both time and ability.  Do you ever have those days where you have been busy all day long, and yet at the end of the day you wonder, "What did I really do today?"   Because my work outside the home is part-time, I've had these thoughts particularly on the days when I am not going into work.  I LOVE those days!  I thoroughly enjoy being able to work at home and attend to the needs of my family and our home.  Sometimes though the absence of structure on some of those days leaves me meandering throughout the day from one thing to the next seemingly without a clear sense of  purpose.  String a bunch of those days together and the result leaves me wondering about what I am actually accomplishing in life.  Am I being purposeful about the gift of each day?  Do my daily activities coincide with the overall goals that I have for my life?  After all, it is helpful to remember that ultimately life is comprised of what we do day after day after day.

Sometimes it seems as though my days are shaped by whatever seems to be most pressing.  Appointments, errands, grocery shopping, laundry, piano lessons, family gatherings, ministry opportunities, and responsibilities at work consumes most of my waking hours.  Some of these things are delightful, and some of them are simply the stuff of life that needs to be done to take care of my family's needs.  I have found it helpful of late to examine my daily actions to discover how they connect to the bigger picture of my life.  Then I can also purpose to remove any extraneous actions that don't contribute to my or my family's overall well being or my God given calling in life in order to best serve God and his greater purposes for my life. 

Being purposeful not only relates to the way I spend my time, but also the way I spend my energy.  What gifts has God given me, spiritually or otherwise?  Recently, God has revealed to me that I have the spiritual gift of encouragement.  At first, I thought that seemed to be a rather meager gift, and I wondered if perhaps there might be additional gifts that I might have that could be of greater use in God's grander scheme of things.  I discovered, however, as I have reviewed my life and my recent experiences, that encouraging others seems to come very naturally to me, and that a lot of the time I do it without even being intentional about it.  It just seems to flow out of me.  The other amazing thing about that gift is that not only does it serve to strengthen and build up others, but it is life giving to me as well.  Every time I encourage others, I experience divine energy that flows through me like a river of life.  I guess that might of been what Jesus was talking about when he said in John 7:38, "Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."  It is immensely satisfying to be in sync with the work of God's Spirit in life.  It is then that the work is truly God's and not ours, and therefore the results are extraordinary! 

These realizations, especially in regards to my spiritual gifts, have served to provide me with a very practical frame of reference from which I can decide how I can best use what God has placed in me to serve others. 

So, what about you?  I know that God has given each of us gifts and abilities that are meant to serve others, but also give us a sense of deep fulfillment.  What are your gifts?  What are things that you LOVE to do that benefit others but also bring you joy? 

Take a minute and share your thoughts!

4 comments:

Nicole Renée said...

Hi Jen! I'm sorry, I couldn't figure out how to email you back - so I figured a comment would work :-) We used Living Hope Adoption Agency, based in PA. We had a great experience with them and would definitely recommend them! Hope that helps, God Bless!

Jen said...

Thank you, Nicole, for that recommendation. For years my husband and I have talked about the possibility of adopting, and China has been a country of interest for us. It is a bit discouraging that the current wait time is at least 5 years, but we continue to wait on God for his direction in this area of our lives.

Anna said...

If you're interested in adoption, we're adopting from Uganda. :)

and, Jen, hi! I'm glad you made it to my blog! the beads that I'm selling I didn't make - although the site you mentioned sounds interesting! - I bought them, handmade from a woman in Uganda. :)

nice to come across your blog!

Jen said...

Hi Anna!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I have been interested in adoption for a very long time. It has been something my husband and I have talked about for years. Discerning God's will for our lives, as well as the financial expense are the things that have kept this on hold for us. I often think about how much God has blessed us with and how much I would LOVE to share it with children in need of a loving home and family. Please pray that God's will for our lives in this regard would be made clear to us. Thanks again for stopping by!

Jen