Celebrating Life's good gifts and God, the Giver of them!

Monday, August 22, 2011

Challenges to Downsizing

Despite my willingness to sell our house and to move into a smaller and less expensive abode, challenges remain. The main challenge is the mere fact that the cost to rent any of the 2 bedroom apartments in our area is at least what we are paying for mortgage and utilities, and in some cases is actually more than what we pay, and hence, would not be a savings at all. This is a great frustration but I will continue to leave it in God's hands to open and close doors in accordance with His will in this area of my family's life.

For the time being, God must want us to stay put. I can say with confidence that I definitely feel we should be in the town in which we live.

My biggest disappointment was my desire to free up more money to give to the needy around the world by reducing our expenses. God has recently shown me that I can accomplish this goal to some extent by being more intentional about the gifts that I give. By purchasing gifts for others from organizations that support the needy and the marginalized, I can increase my contributions to those in need. One such organization that I have begun to support is the Starfish Project. This organization offers women who were once trapped in a life on the streets another way of life and another opportunity to make a living by making jewelry. If you haven't heard of that company, I highly recommend their mission and their beautiful handmade jewelry. I've purchased several pieces of their jewelry recently as gifts for friends and family, and by doing so, I am supporting a safer, healthier life for the women who have walked away from life on the streets. This is a tremendous opportunity! I am happy to discover that by making these simple changes, I can make a positive impact in the lives of those in desperate need.

So, for now, there is not a lot of downsizing going on in terms of our place of residence. But, I am encouraged by the fact that God is showing me new, creative ways that I can spend my money more intentionally in order to bring about life for those in need. I will also continue my quest to reduce our grocery bill. This is mostly out of necessity, but I believe it will be worthwhile pursuit, nonetheless.

Sorry to disappoint any of you who were anxious to hear of the tangible results of my convictions to downsize, but God must open doors if we are to move ahead.

If any of you have any thoughts that you would like to share on your own experiences with downsizing or giving to the needy in creative ways, please share your thoughts.

Thanks for stopping by!

Jen

2 comments:

Amy Sullivan said...

Ohh, Starfish Project. I have never heard of it and glad you shared. There are so many cool organizations out there can't wait to go check this one out.

Jen said...

Hi Amy,

Yes, definitely check it out. I think you'll love it. Jewelry is always such a fun gift idea for girlfriends and sisters in our lives of all ages, which provides lots of opportunities to support women in need on the other side of the world. Happy Shopping!