In my last post I alluded to a campaign that I intend to begin in my household. This is the "No Leftovers" Campaign. In the course of a year,it seems to me that as a family, we probably throw away more food than we actually consume. I don't know how things go in your family, but for some reason, my family does not consume leftovers - even good leftovers. Then we all know the story. It sits there for a few weeks until it's original identity is barely recognizable, and until someone has the courage to do the unthinkable - open the lid! I think you know what I am talking about!
Anyway, I decided that I want to reduce the amount of food that we purchase and it seems to me that by purchasing less in order to avoid the dreaded "leftovers", we would also be consuming less as well, which overall would be much healthier for us physically and financially. Plus, I like the look of a sparse refrigerator. You can see what is in there, and you don't have to wonder about the mystery items and wish they would just somehow go away on their own. So, beginning this week, I am keeping things sparse. If something sits in there longer than 2 days, it is out! Better yet, I will cook less when I do cook, so that there are no leftovers. I'll keep you posted on how this impacts our food expenditures.
Does anyone have any other creative ideas for saving money in practical ways?
Feel free to post your comments!
Jen
1 comment:
Wow...that sounds like a challenge, but i suppose it is a good one. Great post, Mom! :)
Post a Comment